Browne, M. A. E. and Gillen, C. (Eds.) 2015. A geological excursion guide to the Stirling and Perth area. Edinburgh: Edinburgh Geological Society in association with NMS Enterprises Limited. ISBN: 9781905267880 This material was published by the Edinburgh Geological Society and Geological Society of Glasgow in association with National Museums Scotland, and they have kindly made the text available for publishing on the Web. Copies of the geological excursion guides can be purchased on the EGS website: purchase excursion guides.
Excursion 1 Stirling: building stones
Rosalind Garton and Andrew McMillan
Purpose: To examine natural stone used in historic buildings in the centre of Stirling; to illustrate the geology and landscape from key viewpoints.
Logistics: This half-day walk starts at the railway station
As this excursion is in a busy city centre, care must be taken when walking and looking at buildings, and only parts of the route are pedestrianised. Saturdays are very congested.
Maps: OS 1:50,000 Sheet 57 Stirling & the Trossachs;
OS 1:25,000 Sheet 366 Stirling & Ochil Hills West; BGS 1:50,000 Sheet 39W Stirling; locality map
The Royal Burgh of Stirling was historically the gateway to the Highlands. Dominating the local landscape are the Ochil, Touch and Gargunnock hills, which rise abruptly from the flat ancient sea bed of the Carse of Stirling, across which meanders the River Forth (Francis et al., 1970). For centuries the carse, with its treacherous peat bogs more than 3 m deep in places, formed a natural barrier to movement north and south. Travellers had to use the bridge at Stirling, for the bogs extended to the base of the prominent crags. Stirling Castle is situated on a crag that was plucked bare on its western side by an ice sheet. The medieval old town developed down from the castle along the more gently inclined eastward-sloping tail, but subsequently much of it was demolished after the mid-nineteenth century. Some of the remaining buildings, like the house of Bruce of Auchenbowie (1520), show how the older stone buildings were largely constructed of rubble consisting of rounded glacial boulders and hard kernels of local dolerite, although some were of local Carboniferous sandstone.
From 1780 onwards the wealthier families in the burgh began to build houses in lower parts of the town, especially in Melville and Pitt terraces and Allan Park. Sometimes these houses were constructed of squared whinstone (quartz-dolerite), which considering its hardness would have been expensive to shape. It came from the many old quarries around the old town. The dolerite face opposite the front of the old High School on Academy Road was probably such a quarry. Other houses used sandstone from quarries in Carboniferous strata to the south of the town (Dinham & Haldane, 1932), such as Denovan
Locality 1.1 [NS 7978 9355] Stirling Railway Station
Completed by the Caledonian Railway Company in 1914 of sandstone from Blaxter Quarry in Northumberland
Localities 1.2 [NS 7966 9356] and 1.3 Royal Bank of Scotland and Post Office
Proceed up Station Road and turn right into Murray Place (by the Arcade and the Baptist church). On the right, nos 80 and 82 (Locality 1.2) are of iron oxide-speckled sandstone from the Upper Limestone Formation at Polmaise Quarry
Locality 1.4 Sentinel Chambers
Cross Maxwell Place and proceed northwards along Barnton Street. Opposite Maxwell Place is a building in red sandstone with two large 'S's in the stonework of the first floor. This was the Sentinel Chambers building, the offices of one of Stirling's three rival newspapers (the Journal, the Sentinel and the Stirling Observer). It was built in 1927 of Permian sandstone from Locharbriggs Quarry
Locality 1.5 Sentinel Chambers to Princes Street
The buildings between the Sentinel Chambers and Princes Street to the north are of sandstone from Polmaise Quarry. This quarry was worked intermittently between the 1860s and 1910, and was re-opened for a time in the 1930s. Note the building on the corner, no. 10 Barnton Street opposite the Sentinel Chambers, is of orbicular granite at pavement level, with brown and black, 5cm-diameter orbs of zoned feldspar.
Locality 1.6 Nos 77 and 79 Murray Place
Cross Barnton Street and walk south back to Murray Place. Feued in 1842, the street was named after William Murray of Polmaise who had been instrumental in its development. By the early nineteenth century the main route up through the town to Stirling Bridge had become too steep and narrow for contemporary traffic, and Murray Place subsequently became the commercial hub of the town. At Friars Street, note nos 77 and 79 Murray Place, at present the Oxfam Shop. Formerly the Commercial Bank and opened in 1872, it is probably built of stone from Raploch Quarry
Locality 1.7 Thistle Street–Murray Place corner
Walking south along Murray Place to the corner with Thistle Street. Note the polished blue-black syenite ('larvikite' from Oslo Fjord) slabs with thumbnail-sized crystals of blue iridescent alkali feldspar at
Locality 1.8 Former Bank of Scotland
It is worth pausing to admire the former bank building on the corner of Murray Place and King Street. The building was opened in 1862 as the premises of the Stirling Tract Enterprise, the hub of a large mail-order business, which sold religious books. The undertaking was so successful that it put considerable strain on Stirling Post Office at the time. Faced with polished gabbro at ground-floor level, the building is of sandstone from Polmaise Quarry, with a grand sculpted façade at the first-floor level, including fine carvings of bunches of grapes around pillars
Locality 1.9 No. 24 King Street
Turn right up King Street, noting the dolerite setts in the road, and the deep dolerite kerbstones, a feature of many old Scottish streets. No. 24 King Street, previously the Bank of Scotland, is of very badly weathered sandstone from the now filled-in Thornydyke Quarry
Locality 1.10 No. 61 King Street
Cross the road to the red sandstone building on the corner of King Street and Corn Exchange Road
Locharbriggs and Closeburn
Locality 1.11 Public Library
Go left into Corn Exchange Road to the public library on the left. Financed by the Carnegie Fund, its foundation stone was laid by Mrs Andrew Carnegie in 1902. A light-grey slightly micaceous sandstone from Blackcraig Quarry was used for this building. Dominated by a turreted corner tower, the lower courses are of rock-faced dolerite, while the upper floors are rock-faced sandstone. Sandstone ashlar (shaped cut stone) was used around the windows.
Locality 1.12 Municipal Buildings
Opposite the public library are the Stirling District Council Municipal Buildings, opened in 1918 and constructed from Northumbrian Carboniferous sandstone from Blackpasture
Locality 1.13 Statue of Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman
To the SW of the Municipal Buildings is a statue of Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman, Member of Parliament for the Stirling burghs from 1868 to 1908. The statue was unveiled by his successor as Prime Minister, Herbert Henry Asquith. The pedestal is of Shap granite and has good examples of albite twinning in the euhedral (well shaped crystal faces) feldspar phenocrysts. Looking into the courtyard behind the Municipal Buildings the face of one of the old dolerite quarries may be seen, but is now overgrown. At the Back Walk, just SE of the statue, on the town wall of dolerite blocks
Locality 1.14 Allan Park
At the foot of the Back Walk, cross Dumbarton Road and enter Allan Park. The Georgian houses are made of blonde Carboniferous sandstone from Thornydyke Quarry. Note the subsidence in the middle of the terrace on the east side. Dolerite is used in the gable ends and in the old coach houses.
Localites 1.15 and 1.16 No. 23 Spittal Street; Messrs Lawson Ltd.
Retrace your steps along Corn Exchange Road and turn left up Spittal Street. No. 23 (Locality 1.15), now Stirling District Court, is built of sandstone from the Auchenheath Quarries
Locality 1.17 Forth Valley Health Board
The premises of the Forth Valley Health Board
Locality 1.18 Stirling Highland Hotel (the Old High School)
The first part of the fine Old High School of Stirling to be encountered on this excursion is the Maclaren wing, next door to the Health Board offices and which was added to the school in 1889. Note the green-domed revolving observatory above, gifted by Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman, and the elaborate carvings around the gateway including, appropriately, the signs of the zodiac
Locality 1.19 Nos 39 to 41 St John Street
Walk back to Spittal Street and turn left, proceeding up the hill on St John Street. Nos 39–41, just before the Church of the Holy Rude, is the house of Bruce of Auchenbowie, which may date from 1520. It is a very good example of an early stone building in Stirling, being made of rubble comprising assorted sizes and shapes of sandstone and dolerite boulders. Opposite the Old Town Jail, the sandstone building has a fine Caithness flagstone pavement outside
Locality 1.20 Church of the Holy Rude
The church is built of a mélange of different stones. The bluish sandstone, used in much of the nave and for the tower, may be from Ballengeich Quarry
Locality 1.21 Mar's Wark
Going north from the church, pause at Mar's Wark, the ruins of a splendid Renaissance palace begun as the town residence of the Earl of Mar, hereditary Keeper of Stirling Castle. It is built of a colourful mixture of different sandstones, with some spectacular convolute bedding in many of the fine-grained, brown sandstone blocks. Ballengeich sandstone was used in the building, but many other kinds were also used. It is said that some of its stone was acquired from the nearby Cambuskenneth Abbey
Locality 1.22 [NS 7910 9400] Stirling Castle Esplanade viewpoint
Continue north to the castle esplanade. The castle was built in many different stages of different stones, including rocks from Ballengeich, Cat Craig and Longannet
Rocks of Early Devonian age underlie all the ground between the Menteith and Ochil hills. Looking north from the esplanade, the Ochil Hills with Dumyat at the SW end consist of a sequence of lavas and volcaniclastic sedimentary rocks (Ochil Volcanic Formation). Westwards, towards Dunblane and beyond, the volcanic rocks pass up into a sequence of sedimentary strata including fluvial sandstones and finer grained sedimentary rocks laid down in lakes and extensive alluvial plains. The West Ochil Fault separates the volcanic sequence exposed in the Ochil Hills from younger coal-bearing Carboniferous rocks underlying the flat valley floors of the Forth and Devon. The fault effectively forms the spectacular scarp face of the Ochils, through the south side of Stirling University campus, and eastwards past Menstrie, Alva and Dollar. The fault has had the effect of downthrowing the Carboniferous strata to the south by a maximum of about 3000 m at Tillicoultry.
Most of the Carboniferous rocks in the vicinity of Stirling are hidden by a thick succession of Late Devensian and Holocene marine and estuarine sediments formed at various stages following deglaciation of the Forth valley about 13,500 years ago
Locality 1.23 [NS 7910 9380] View from Ladies' Rock
From Ladies' Rock, in the cemetery to the south of the esplanade, a fine view is afforded of the south side of the Forth valley. The prominent trap featuring of the Touch and Gargunnock hills highlights successive lava flows with weathered tops, the lavas having been poured out on the ancient landscape in Early Carboniferous times (about 335 million years ago). These are part of the Clyde Plateau Volcanic Formation, locally up to 1000 m thick, which extends westwards to the Campsie Fells and Renfrew-shire Hills. In the middle distance, Craigforth, a prominent hill above the general level of the valley floor, is also of Early Carboniferous lava.
In the foreground, a cliff (partly obscured by trees) is a former coastline, and forms the northern edge of the King's Park. It is composed of quartzdolerite, and was last touched by the sea during Holocene times (6000 to 5500 years ago), when local sea level was approximately 15–16 m above OD. At this time prominences such as Craigforth and Hill of Drip (Lower
Devonian sandstone) were islands. The Carse Clays, intertidal mudflat deposits, were also laid down over a wide area extending at least 24 km westwards from Stirling to Aberfoyle, burying pre-existing surface peat deposits (termed the Sub-carse Peat). The King's Park and much of south Stirling are underlain by Late Devensian sediments. These were laid down as a terminal moraine by deltaic and other marine or glaciofluvial processes during deglaciation, about 15,000 years ago
Much of the Carse of Stirling was covered by peat following the lowering of sea level about 5000 years ago, but with extensive clearance by man for agriculture in the nineteenth century, the only remaining large expanses of moss occur at East Flanders, West Flanders and Gartrenich. Looking SE, the flagstaff at the Borestone site at Bannockburn is clearly visible. It is on top of a small drumlin, a hill composed of glacial till, the streamlined form produced as the last ice sheet moved across the land.
Localities 1.24, 1.25 and 1.26 Nos 2–10 Broad Street, nos 17–25 Broad Street and Baker Street
Return to the town centre down Broad Street. Nos 2–10 and 17–25 are burgh properties built in 1932 and partly faced with Auchenheath sandstone, a micaceous white and pale brown rock. The seventeenth-century Norrie's House, nos 14–16, was built using quarried stone, possibly from Raploch
References